Learning: To Feed Lies with Truths

Monday, November 14, 2016


The electricity is gone - part of the reality of living in Kenya - my to do list for the day is from here to Timbuktu, with urgent things that need to be completed. The work I need to get done requires the desktop, therefore I can't dash to a cafe nearby and work. Furthermore, I'm too broke to be working in a cafe!! As so you can see, I am in quite the predicament! Hello stress, hello anxiety, hello worry.

Just as I was about to start lamenting on my predicament, the following thought dawned on me… God is sovereign and he does all things for my good. Now what does that mean? It means that in this situation, which I had not expected or planned, God had expected and planned it, He allowed it and He ordained it, for my good and His glory.

Part of being an entrepreneur, running a business on your own, is that every aspect of your business is dependent on you. If you're not working, the business is not working. When you go on holiday the business goes on holiday too. In such a situation it is so easy to forget and believe that the businesses survival and success is dependent on you. If that was the case, why do so many hard working entrepreneurs fail? Why do so many businesses crash when things are working in its favor?

As I mentioned in my 'stock and goals' post, I am currently reading the book 'Lies Women believe’ by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. In the book she shares the lies we believe and how dwelling on these lies, leads us to believe them, act on the them and ultimately become enslaved to them. Her solution to freeing ourselves from bondage to these lies is reminding ourselves continuously of truths, biblical truths. The easiest lie for me to believe right now is that my business is fully dependent on me. Its success, its failure, is dependent upon my work and my commitment to it.

Yet the peace I have right now, to comfortably sit here and type this versus getting stressed and starting to worry comes from the holy spirit working in me to remind me of His truths. The Bible says ‘And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?’ Matthew 6:27, in addition to ‘And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28.

I'm reminded that, not only does worrying do very little for my life, but the bible also tells me not to worry. “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:25‭-‬26. This alongside the verse in Romans, I am reminded that there is no cause for worry, because I know God keeps his promises, as he has on countless occasions in the word. Therefore I should trust and lean on Him when He says, He works together all things for my good.

We must endeavor to constantly remind ourselves of these truths. To feed the lies we so easily believe with the word and truths about God's character and nature. Through Christ working in us, he gives us a peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:6-7). I'm thankful that the Lord has reminded me today, that my business is not dependent on me but Him. I know that he is good, and that he does all things for my good, so there's is no cause for worry and stress right now. I pray that I would continuously turn to his truths before letting the lies of sin dwell in my mind and heart, ultimately leading me to hopelessness, anxiety and worry.

Learning: To Feed Lies with Truths
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Location: Sangare Cottages Nyeri
Photographer: Njeri Macharia
Black Jacket: N3Milles (Ksh 4, 000)
Top: N3Milles (Ksh 3, 000)
Skirt: N3Milles (Ksh 3, 000)
Shoes: N3Milles (Ksh 3, 000)
Earrings: Jamia Mall (Ksh 300)
Lipstick: Revlon

Thanks for stopping by
..Sharon 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe